Moderated Discussion List
"Effective Online Advertising"
List Moderator: Supported by:
Adam Audette LinkExchange
June 8, 1998 Digest #356
"Link Development Strategies"
~ Rod Aries
Subject: Re: Organizing Key Metawords checklist Regarding the on-going discussion of key metawords, and in response to Will Johnston LED #354:
Will, you asked if you organized your keywords alphabetically if it would help or hinder your site...
Well, first not all the engines use meta tags (Excite and MetaCrawler do not). For those that do, put your best words forward first, because each engine reads a different number of characters and if your best word is characters 249-263 and the search engine truncated at character 250, you lost your chance.
Here is a handy check list for using creating and using meta tags:
* Think - come up with your best keywords
* Explore - search your best keywords in ALL the major engines (don't cut corners here) see what type of competition is out there.
* Voyeur - visit your competitors and use "View|Source" to look at their keywords.
* Re-think - now combine yours and their keywords and re-organize
* Prioritize - pick your core keywords, valid for all pages, and organize them in order of importance.
* Out think - don't forget typo's (entrpreneur desing) and related topics (if you are a realtor mention attractions such as San Diego Zoo, Sea World).
* Over think - for each specific page, add additional keywords relevant to that page (you have a car insurance page, add Chevy, Ford...).
* Cross pollinate - match keywords used to content on your page.
* Monitor - how is your page doing, experiment to increase relevancy.
At your service,
Back to Tips Page